“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” –Mark Jenkins

Sunday, 15 February 2015

the journey

So thankfully this time it wasn't me waking up late, but Caroline's driver! she still made it to ours on time though and the M25 was kind enough to allow us an easy journey to terminal 5.
Western omelette for breakfast in the Giraffe restaurant washed down with an Earl grey tea and not one, but two, glasses of Prosecco! a perfect start.
All was going well, the plane was fully boarded on time and ready to take off (complete with celebrity in World Traveller class in the form of big cat expert and BBC wildlife presenter, Jon Scott), but we still did not leave on time as a very tiny, timid looking female, in a hijab, carrying a baby decided it was a good time to start squawking her religious beliefs at everyone as she walked up and down the plane asking who was muslim and declaring that charity started at home - eventually her, her baby and her husband were removed from the plane and a good 30 minute wait followed whilst they removed their luggage from the hold for safety reasons. I have nothing against muslims, but I won't say I wasn't relieved when they were removed. 

The flight passed fairly uneventfully (two spilt wines, three movies and a fair few foul aromas) and I had not managed to engineer a situation to talk to Jon Scott in the next cabin up - so I was even more annoyed when Caroline told me I had dozed off right at the point when Jon was queueing alone to use our bucket and spade class loo right in front of me! bugger.
We eventually arrived at the Fairview hotel at half eleven by our kind driver, Alex, and attempted to get straight to sleep. Unfortunately sleep was not really on the agenda.... too much noise, heat and excitement. So this morning we got up at 630am and went for breakfast and a stroll round the gardens. Now waiting for our driver to take us to the Wilson airport for our titchy plane to the Mara - bring on the big cats!

No comments:

Post a Comment