Description

“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” –Mark Jenkins

Friday 13 February 2015

now we are counting in hours!

It always feels real when the queasiness kicks in after your first Malarone. Gone are the days when anti-malarials were started a week before the trip and gave weird hallucinations - these new (and cheaper) tablets hardly affect me at all. (Or is that on account of already having had Malaria once?).
So the bag is packed - it's about 7kgs over - but what the hell, I will argue that point when I get there (or probably not actually - I will more likely make a pathetic attempt at fluttering my non-existent eye-lashes, go bright red, and then just pay the man as is the African way). Whatever happens, the lenses are coming with me, along with both cameras and the Chromebook - I simply know I will not cope being unable to look at my pictures each day before going out to shoot again. I know, I know, I hear you all spouting off about the days of film and how much more difficult it was then. I remember. ....I remember the weeks of saving the pennies just to be able to afford to get the images developed only to find out they were crap, but we don't live in that age anymore and I need to see them. On a larger screen than the back of my camera. I've paid too much for the trip to have regrets when I get home. The Chromebook may even allow me to blog whilst I am there, I know there is no wifi, but there is an intermittent phone signal, so with a Kenyan SIM card inside there is a chance I will still be able to update you all (negating the need for a heavy notebook of course).
Skyped Simon from the Kicheche camp yesterday who also informs me there is bug spray in every tent but no mossie nets- so that lowered the weight a little more. My net weighs nothing, but the bug spray was fairly heavy duty (on all fronts). So excited. We leave at 7am for the airport tomorrow morning. So fingers crossed for a good nights sleep and a perfectly behaved M25 tomorrow and we will be sipping champers in "Giraffe" for breakfast.
PS: I have finally added a "follow by email" box on the right for those of you who have been asking!

No comments:

Post a Comment