Description

“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” –Mark Jenkins

Thursday 29 January 2015

fortnight to go!

Almost everything I need, and have ordered, has arrived.... the only thing I still don't have are spare CF cards for the new Nikon, but at £57 quid a go I will have to make do. My Pentax takes SD cards, so I have plenty of those of course.
My visa application is filled out and ready to go and trials with the new camera gear are going ok. I'm petrified I will miss many shots though, through not being familiar with the controls and able to adjust them quickly enough, but hey ho, my Pentax is coming with me so hopefully no major issue. The real issue at the moment is the 15kg luggage limit; my camera kit is now finalised, packed and weighed: it already takes two-thirds of that allowance, so I am going to end up having to ditch a number of things or pay a fortune if they decide to weigh it all at the airstrip. The frustrating thing for me is that I weigh a fairly average 64kgs - and if I was a traditionally built muscly bloke I would probably weigh a lot more - how is that fair? Might have to end up wearing every item of clothing and hanging a camera round my neck - time to endure a very sweaty 45 minutes on the plane methinks. My sister's preparation seems to also be going well, she is getting to grips with her camera (Pentax K10D) and we have been out together the last couple of weekends to go through a few of the basics. This weekend we hope to get a decent sunset to practice on, as the sunsets in Kenya are simply incredible (particularly as they always come with "sundowners" - a drink of your choice packed in the truck to enjoy the moment in style - can't wait, it's definitely the best part of every day out there).
Spot of the week 6 days ago in the area was of a gorgeous leopard chase.... so exciting  http://kicheche.com/news/final-approach

No comments:

Post a Comment